This is a very short question but the answers could be very complicated. A very funny thing is there are 2 people in this world:
- People to make a simple things to be complicated
- People to make a complicated things to be simple.
If you try to find the definition of life in the dictionary you will find similar definitions as follow which I believe is the first people I mentioned above:
- The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally (source: dictionary.reference.com).
Okay, this is at least generally how people define "LIFE" and I have slightly different definition than the general. I define life as:
Anything that Can Move by Its Own
- Human, animals, fish and bird can move, thus they have life - similar to the general definition.
- Plants can grow, thus they have life too - similar to the general definition.
- Object such as chair, pencil, mouse, keyboard and etc have life too - Opps!
Everything Has Life
A very important concept that we must understand is everything is this universal is moving. That is called "progress". You can also said, when one day everything has no progress, then we have no life in the universe. But will it happens? Yes, it might! However as for this point in time, everything is in progress, therefore everything has life. Everything is in progress because everything can move by their own.